Thursday, July 04, 2013

Day 5: Lyra's Oxford


Top reasons why I ADORE Oxford
1. They are a city devoted to Alice in Wonderland
2. They have street performers, just like Harvard Square
3. Everyone rides bicycles, you are far more likely to get hit by one of them than a bus
4. A few streets no cars are allowed, how much I love that
5. It is completely walkable, if you like walking
6. Literary history surrounds you
There are many more reasons, but these popped into my brain as I was typing this. I have been fussing with the internet for over a day, so i hope this all gets published.
Today we discussed the His Dark Materials trilogy. Personally I enjoyed the first book, The Northern Lights, but the others fell flat for me. Structurally I think they could have used some editing, but they still won gallons of awards, so what do I know. It was decided in our seminar meeting that the Oxford cat is clearly my daemon, as he does not visit anyone else, even though they keep their windows open.
I decided to make it a Pullman day and a bunch of us went to the Covered Market for lunch, did a little Oxford shopping and then we went to the Botanical Gardens to see Tolkien's tree and the Lyra and Will bench. During dinner, our dessert was red, white, and blue, so a couple of us started singing the our national anthem, and then the whole table was singing. 4th of July indeed! After dinner we went to see Merry Wives of Windsor. It was HYSTERICAL, a fabulous adaptation. The bells started pealing at the beginning of the play, and continued forever, we wondered if the Royal baby had been born. No baby yet.
Tomorrow is Rowling day, and given the reading it should prove to be a lively debate!

Botanical Garden Maze
Botanical Garden Maze
Tolkien's tree
Tolkien's tree
an Oxford duck, he looks smart
an Oxford duck, he looks smart
Lyra and will carved on the bench
Lyra and will carved on the bench
Lyra and Will's bench
Lyra and Will's bench
Merry Wives of Windsor
Merry Wives of Windsor

No comments:

Post a Comment