Monday, July 15, 2013

Day 16: Highclere Castle


Highclere Castle, the very reason my trip has been so long, soooo worth the wait and the visit. In February, when I booked this trip, I could not find a coach tour to take me to the castle, nothing was running any of the days that I was going to be here. So I decided to go on my own, no bus. A group of us estimated that it was only about $20 bucks cheaper to go on our own, but we had as much time as we wanted there. So I decided to spend the day there.
Newbury is about an hour train ride from Paddington Station, and then a 10 minute cab ride from Newbury station to the castle. Riding up to the castle takes your breath away. It is HUGE! I had a 1pm entry time, and it was only a little after 11, so I wandered around the Gardens, the woods, the gift shop, and sat under a tree and had a snack. I'm glad I brought an apple and banana because the cafe was unimpressive. I did have a cuppa and stole a spoon.  I met far more Americans here than any other nationality.
Once I entered the house it is a one-way unguided tour. I had bought the longer book about the castle at the gift shop, so I knew what to look out for. No photos were allowed inside, but I befriended a mother and daughter from Alabama, and the daughter took pictures inside, she promised to send them to me. I got to see the dining room, the library, Lady Sybil's room, Lady Edith's room, and Lady Grantham's room. I walked down the big staircase, and looked at the main receiving room. It was pretty awesome. Filming of season 4 just ended Thursday, and a production team was there filming a movie to be aired in the states. I was filmed but not interviewed, they just interviewed staff of Highclere.
The grounds are exquisite, there is a wildflower meadow, and a secret garden. It was easy to spend time wandering the grounds. I shared a cab back with the mother and daughter from Alabama, and took the train back to London.
The visit was the perfect ending to this amazing trip
Highclere Castle, it really is that big
Highclere Castle, it really is that big
Highclere through the wildflower meadow
Highclere through the wildflower meadow
Had to take a selfie
Had to take a selfie
Ok I took a couple of pics inside.  This is Sybil's room
Ok I took a couple of pics inside. This is Sybil's room
Edith's room
Edith's room

Recognize the pillars?  this area is from season 2

Recognize the pillars? this area is from season 2

No comments:

Post a Comment