Tuesday, July 02, 2013

Day 3: the Oxford Fellowship

What is striking me most right now is that everyone is getting along, and we are all having a great time. It rained today, but that didn't danmpen our spirits. Today was Tolkien day. My panel discussed High Fantasy vs. Fantasy, and whether events like wars typically influence writers. Lively discussion.

Then it was off to the Eagle and Child pub, where Tolkien and Lewis and other members of the Inklings would meet. Our reservation got muddled, so we went down the street to a different pub, one where our teacher would frequent when he was getting his masters. Then Kit, a librarian from CT and I defected and went shopping. We found the Alice Shop and some bookstores. I am finally figuring my way around, which is perfect for my next life when I move here.


Next was a discussion on archeology, and our lecturer was trying to make the point that he is not Indiana Jones, but seriously? His job is so cool, someone give that man a whip, he already has the hat.


We went to Evensong at Christ Church, and that was so beautiful and lovely, I hope I can go again. We will be visiting the church as a group, but I especially liked the singing.


After dinner we had another lecture about slave poetry, and it was excellent. Must order copies of the books for my library.


I have to do reading for tomorrow, but my bed is calling me.

Alice display at bookstore
Alice display at bookstore
Magical Books
Magical Books
Magical Books display
Magical Books display
More Magical Books display
More Magical Books display

No comments:

Post a Comment